Canada/ 8.1 Support to artists and other creative workers  

8.1.4 Support to professional artists associations or unions

While provincial arts councils provide assistance to provincial associations, the Canada Council for the Arts and the Department of Canadian Heritage provide support to national arts service organisations, other artists' associations and unions such as the Canadian Conference of the Arts, the Canadian Museums Association, the Writers Union and sound recording associations such as FACTOR. The Department of Canadian Heritage provides legislative recognition of artists through the Status of the Artist Act (see also  chapter 5.1.4). National arts service organisations (NASOs) are also eligible for charitable tax status, which is another form of indirect support to arts associations.

Chapter published: 24-11-2008